Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dutch Oven Dinner Rolls



This recipe is a combination of a dinner roll recipe taken from The Dutch Oven Cookbook by the Kohler and Michaud families and The Pioneer Woman's Buttered Rosemary Rolls.

 While I think it best made in either a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet to absorb some flavor, you can make it in a greased baking dish or tin as well. With the cast iron, though, I let it warm up on a low heat burner for 20 minutes or so, then turned the burner off and let the skillet or whatever stay sitting on it. Coat it with a thin layer of Crisco and it will be all warm and prepped for your roll's second rising. No sacrilege intended.

(if you need a crash course in cast iron cookware, check out my article Cast Iron: The Only Pan You'll Ever Need)

Dutch Oven Dinner Rolls (makes approx 1 dozen rolls)

Time: 15 minutes prep. 2 hours rising time. 15 minute cooking time.

Ingredients

1 Tbl yeast
1/4 cup warm water (I think its more like hot water that you can stand...120 to 130 degrees...haven't had yeast die on me yet!)
1/8 tsp sugar (a pinch)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 Tbl butter

sea salt and melted butter and rosemary (if you like it) for during baking time

Directions

1.  In a small bowl, mix the yeast, water and the pinch of sugar. Let sit until foamy and it smells yummy (unless I'm the only one who likes that smell).

2. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter over medium heat. Dissolve the salt and the rest of the sugar in the mix and stir well.

3. Transfer to a large bowl and add half the flour (1 1/2 cups in case you're not great at math).  Mix thoroughly.

4.  Add the yeast mixture, stir well, then add another cup of flour (retaining half a cup). The dough will be stiff. Don't worry.

5.  Sprinkle some of the flour on a flat (clean) surface and knead until the dough is smooth.  Enjoy this part...its my favorite.  

6.  The Dutch Oven Cookbook says to put in a greased bowl but I think dishes are awful and don't want to add another one.  So put it back in that same large bowl and it will be just okay.  Or mostly okay.  Or if you're anal-retentive you can break out another bowl and grease it up and put your dough baby in that.  Whatever you put it in, place it in a warm place and cover with a clean towel and leave it alone until its doubled. (an hour or so)

7.  When its all nice and puffy, use some Crisco and grease up your cast iron or baking dish. Rub a little of that Crisco on your hands and grab a hunk of that delicious dough. Shape it into a nice round ball and place it in the dish. Repeat with the rest until your little dough babies are all shaped.

8.  Cover with a towel and let it double again. I know. Sigh. Set your timer for 35 minutes or so and when that goes off, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Set your timer for another 10-15 minutes and by the time your rolls are done rising your oven will be ready.

9.  Pop those suckers in for 10-12 minutes.

10.  Pull them out and have your melted butter and a brush ready. Coat the top with luscious butter and sprinkle with coarse ground sea salt (or just salt..but the coarse really makes it) and the rosemary on top. Thank you Pioneer Woman. Pop it back in for 2-4 more minutes or until the tops are nicely browned.

The nice thing about making it in cast iron is the bread will stay warm for hours.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this recipe Kaitlynn! No joke, everytime I get out my dutch oven I always think of you making dinner rolls at Bass lake. I always wanted to try them. Yippeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the ones where I forgot baking soda or some other important ingredient, lol! Hey, I get to see you today! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoooray hooooray! I am so excited to see you too! So I was thinking, I don't know if I am the only one on the planet who didn't know what a csa was but I had to google it after I was reading your blog ;). So I am totally into that idea after I read about it! I would love to know what your experience with a csa is like and recommendations/recipes? Maybe you already blogged about it and I missed it but I would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete