Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Rogue John John Beer

rogue-john-john-juniperOne of the current trends with microbreweries is to age brewed beer in oak barrels. It is something that will at a distinct pungency to the beer. In this case, Rouge Brew Master John Maier has paired up with Master Distiller, John Couchot. The John John  Juniper Berry Beer is one of 3 beers Rouge has released this year that use this unique method of aging in different barrels that are used to distill different types of liquor. 


In this case, gin is aged in the oak barrels to absorb the flavor, emptied and then impacts the flavor of the beer that is aged in it. They age a rogue pale ale with juniper berries. 


So I bought myself a bottle of this beer the other day, in fond memories of the original John John ale I had, which was taking their Dead Guy ale and aging it is whiskey barrels. Much to my surprise, instead of a amber aged  brew with whiskey impacts resulting in a malt aroma, and a finish of caramel, vanilla, and oak, I found a beer that resulted in a very spicy berry flavor. That is the best way I can describe it, a medium body with a large amount of spice and sour berry in the after taste. While I appreciate the hopes and aspirations of this series, this wasn't one of my favorites, especially at 11 dollars for a big bottle. To further support my point, on some popular sites like beer advocate or rate beer, this averaged 87 out of a hundred. 


My bottom line: Interesting beer and flavor, but more of a beer to try for something different, not something worth 11 dollars for a bottle. 


My rating: 6 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment